Research Data Scientist
School of Mathematics and StatisticsClosing date: 24th March 2020
About the role
- Level A $76k - $102k plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Level B $107k - $126k plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
- Fixed Term - 2 years
The role of reports to the Director, Data Science Hub and has no direct reports.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Conduct research in Data Science as requested by the Director or their delegate.
- Perform and support collaborative, team-based and inter-disciplinary research in Data Science, which will lead to high quality research articles for publication in internationally refereed journals.
- Work with Industry, Government or other Partners to identify their research needs, and lead the development of translational and transformative solutions.
- Jointly supervise HDR student research, where appropriate.
- Present results of research at relevant team meetings, and/or workshops and/or conferences.
- Assist in the development and delivery of introductory short courses in Data Science to applied researchers and practitioners as required.
- Maintain detailed records of workload and activities for reporting purposes.
- Identify and participate in activities to attract industry and other funding, as well as to attract HDR students.
- Contribute to the operation of processes that enable the team to manage the work of the Data Science Hub.
- Cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or missions do not impact negatively on the health and safety of yourself or others.
In addition to the responsibilities for Level A Research Data Scientist, a Level B Research Data Scientist will be expected to:
- Develop and deliver introductory short courses in Data Science to applied researchers and practitioners, as required. Provide guidance and mentoring for less experienced team members
- Contribute to research improvement processes and initiatives that enable the team to manage the work of the Data Science Hub.
- Develop collaborations in larger scale research projects.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in data science or a relevant discipline and/or extensive knowledge gained through a combination of education and training.
- A research focus or interest in specialising in one of the areas of; fundamental data science (methodology), environmental data science, physical data science or health data science.
- High level proficiency in a range of data science methodologies and software packages.
- Demonstrated high level analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A significant track record of successful research publications relative to career opportunity.
- Demonstrated capacity to deliver high quality project outcomes in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training.
In addition to the selection criteria for Level A Research Data Scientist, a Level B Research Data Scientist will be expected to have:
- Postgraduate qualifications in Data Science and/or prior experience working in Data Science in a similar role within a multi-disciplinary research organisation or centre.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively instruct applied researchers on statistical techniques in a short course setting, and develop material for short courses.
- Experience reviewing research grants and journal articles.
- A strong inter-disciplinary publication record including publications in statistical methodology journals.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application.
For more information and to apply, click here.
**Mention you saw it on the AustMS website**