Membership of the Society is open to mathematicians, and those with mathematical interests.
To join the Society, please fill out the Membership and Accreditation Application Form.
Benefits of Membership
Join us and:
- become a member of a group of nearly a thousand of Australia's leading mathematicians
- obtain accreditation as a professional mathematician through the Society's accreditation program
- receive complimentary issues of the gazette (5 times a year) containing articles of interest to all mathematicians
- purchase at a much reduced price, the Society's internationally recognized research journals:
- purchase texts in the Australian Mathematical Society's Lecture Series at 25% discount
- pay reduced registration fees at many conferences organised by, or sponsored by, the Australian Mathematical Society
- obtain 12 months free membership if you are a new full-time graduate student in Mathematics.
- Student members may be eligible for travel grant attending the Annual Meeting of the Society.
The society has eight classes of individual membership: Honorary members, ordinary members, sustaining members, reciprocal members, reduced rate members, retired members, education members and life members.
- Reduced rate membership is open to students and those not in full-time employment.
Full-time students in Australian Universities receive their first year of membership free.
- Sustaining membership provides a way of to support the Society in a more substantial way.
Half of the sustaining membership fee is set aside for endowment funds to finance large projects.
- Life membership is available to those who retire on or after the age of 55, on the payment of a single fee.
- A person distinguished for the promotion, extension or application of mathematical knowledge may be elected by the Council as an Honorary Member of the Society.
- Reciprocal membership is open to members of societies with which the Australian Mathematical Society has a reciprocity agreement.
- Special Education membership is open to members of the Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers and the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia.
Institutions, associations and other organisations may become institutional members.
The Society operates a formal accreditation process: upon application and the payment of a once-only fee you can be accredited as a professional mathematician at the level of Graduate, Accredited Member or Fellow, according to your qualifications and experience. Find out more about accreditation.
AustMS has reciprocal membership with many other mathematical societies, making the benefits of membership of societies like the American Mathematical Society available at reduced rates. Find out more about reciprocal membership
The subscription for the year 2013 is $126 (but only half this amount for the first year of membership) plus $12 for the option of ANZIAM membership. (For student members the annual subscription is only $32, but the 1st year may be free.)
Find out more about Subscription fees.