Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013
Scientific societies, universities, research institutes, and foundations from all corners of the globe have banded together and dedicated 2013 to the Mathematics of Planet Earth.
The global mission of the MPE project is to:
- Encourage research in identifying and solving fundamental questions about planet earth;
- Encourage educators at all levels to communicate the issues related to planet earth;
- Inform the public about the essential role of the mathematical sciences in facing the challenges to our planet.
Mathematicians are specialists at modelling and problem solving — as are many scientists. Fostering a year that emphases the mathematics of climate change and sustainability, geophysics, ecology and epidemiology, biodiversity, and the global organisation of the planet by humans will attract researchers with a wide range of expertise. And hopefully deliver some outstanding research and perhaps even solutions to some of these problems.
- Australian Academy of Science, Selby Lecture
Shine Dome, Canberra; 6:00–7:00pm; 5 November 2012
Professor Richard de Grijs
Out and about in the Universe
- Caring for Australian Countryside series lecture
Shine Dome, Canberra; 6:00–7:00pm; 6 November 2012
Professor Margaret Alston OAM
Rural policy, people and place: sustainability in an uncertain future
- Public Lecture hosted by University of Melbourne
The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre; 7:30–8:30pm; 9 Nov. 2012
Professor Brian Cox, OBE
Exploring the Universe with Brian Cox
- Best of the Best: Women in Science
Public Lecture at the State Library of Victoria; 5:30–7:00pm; 26 Nov. 2012
Baroness Prof Susan Greenfield CBE, Prof Fiona Stanley AC, Marita Cheng.
- BioInfoSummer 2013
University of Adelaide; 3–7 December, 2012
- Public Lecture: Flentje Lecture Theatre, Horace Lamb Building, University of Adelaide; 6:00–7:30pm on 6 Dec. 2012
The rise of bioinformatics with new genome technologies
Events, Summer 2013
- AMSI Summer School
University of Melbourne, Parkville; 7 Jan.–1 Feb. 2013.
- International Workshop Mathematical Models of Tumour–Immune Dynamics
Eastern Avenue Auditorium and Lecture Theatre Complex, University of Sydney
7–10 January 2013.
- Simons Public Lecture: hosted by University of Melbourne
Sidney Myer Asia Centre; 5:45–7:15pm; 29 Jan. 2013
Professor Simon Levin (Princeton University, USA)
The Challenge of Sustainability
- ANZIAM 2013
University of Newcastle, NSW; 3–7 February 2013.
- Young Statisticians Conference
Trinity College, University of Melbourne; 7–8 February 2013.
- SPOM2013 South Pacific Optimization Meeting
Noah's on the Beach, Newcastle; 9–12 February 2013.
- Optimization of Planet Earth Afternoon
Noah's on the Beach, Newcastle; 2:00–8:00pm, 11 February 2013.
Events, Autumn 2013
- Australian Acadamy of Science, Public Lecture
Shine Dome, Canberra; 5:30–7:15pm on 5 March 2013
Professor Brian Schmidt (ANU) — Winner, 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics
Australia’s pioneering work in astronomy
- Pi Day, AGR National Seminar
AGR National Seminar; 3:14–4:30pm on 14 March 2013
Professor Jon Borwein (University of Newcastle)
The Life of Pi: A Talk for Pi Day 2013
Events, Winter 2013
- IGA/AMSI Workshop: Representation Theory and Operator Algebras
University of Adelaide; 1–5 June 2013.
- Optimisation in Industry workshop
RMIT University, Melbourne; 5–7 June 2013.
- Climate Science Winter School: Modelling the Climate System
University of NSW; 17–21 June 2013.
- Mathematics of Transportation Networks
Monash University, Victoria; 19–21 June 2013
- 2013 AMSI Winter School
School of Mathematics and Physics, University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD;
24 June – 5 July 2013
- Australia New Zealand Applied Probability Workshop, University of Queensland; 8–11 July 2013.
- MPE Australia 2013, RMIT University, Melbourne; 8–12 July 2013.
- Symposium: New Opportunities at the Interface between Ecology and Statistics
University of NSW; 11–12 July 2013
- A planet to discover
- Equations that shape the world
- A planet organized by humans
- A planet supporting life
- A planet at risk
- a coffee with …