High Performance Computing Specialist
The Bureau of Meteorology
Docklands, MelbourneClosing date: 6th August 2015
- Executive Level 1 (SPOC) OR Executive Level 2 (SPOB)
- NON ONGOING (SPECIFIED TASK), Up to 3 years
The Bureau of Meteorology is Australia's national weather, climate and water agency. Its expertise and services assist Australians in dealing with the harsh realities of their natural environment, including droughts, floods, fires, storms, tsunami and tropical cyclones. Through regular forecasts, warnings, monitoring and advice spanning the Australian region and Antarctic territory, the Bureau provides one of the fundamental and most widely used services of government.
The Bureau contributes to national social, economic, cultural and environmental goals by providing observational, meteorological, hydrological and oceanographic services and by undertaking research into science and environment related issues in support of its operations and services.
The Earth Systems Modelling Research Program within the Research and Development Branch at the Bureau of Meteorology seeks an expert in scientific computing, parallel programming and numerical methods on high performance computing platforms. The occupant will be part of a team whose activities include development of numerical prediction systems in support of Bureau of Meteorology forecasts and applications. This position will be responsible for optimizing and enhancing the computational efficiency of the Bureau’s numerical prediction systems on a high performance computer.
To be successful you will:
- Have experience in parallel programming and numerical methods on high performance computing platforms;
- Have experience and knowledge in high performance computing technology applicable to meteorological and related research and operational systems;
- Have experience in working with complex numerical modelling systems within a 'Big Data' environment;
- Undertake high-level investigations and assessments under limited direction;
- Understand the importance of transitioning projects to Operational handover; and
- Have well-developed liaison, communication and documentation skills.
For more information, and to apply, click here.
Please read the selection documentation and if you have any queries please contact Tim Pugh on (03) 9669 4345 or email email@example.com.
This position is being advertised as a dual classification at the EL1 (SPOC), $92,560 - $104,260 per annum, plus an additional 15.4% superannuation or EL2 (SPOB) level, $112,622 - $126,488 per annum, plus an additional 15.4% superannuation with the level of appointment to be determined by the qualities of the successful applicant.
**Mention you saw it on the AustMS website**