Postdoc Positions in Operations Research
School of Mathematical SciencesClosing date: 10th February 2017
Prof. Mohan Krishnamoorthy and Prof. Andreas Ernst at Monash University have two postdoctoral fellow positions available over 3 years full time, for outstanding candidates with a background in operations research or cognate areas (computer science, engineering) with an interest in solving optimisation problems. The projects are:
Matheuristics for Synchromodal Logistics
An industry sponsored project working with Pacific National, the largest rail operator in Australia. As part of the project, the candidate will be working on the development of appropriate mathematical models and algorithms for optimising the movement of containers through the Melbourne rail terminal and the wider network. Both network design and operational scheduling aspects will be considered. The candidate will be working directly with the industry client and on strategic research to underpin the development of better scheduling and network design algorithms.
Australia Indonesia Infrastructure Project
This project is aligned with the first and focusses on better understanding of the infrastructure needs required to meet growing demand for container logistics in both Indonesia and Australia. The research will include modelling container logistics infrastructure requirements in Indonesia and Australia, the development of optimisation models and algorithms to determine optimal investment and operating policies for ensuring efficient use of the infrastructure.
Please submit your application including a CV and publication list to Mohan.Krishnamoorthy@monash.edu or Andreas.Ernst@monash.edu by 10th February 2017.
- Prerequisite: A PhD in mathematics or related discipline from a recognised university (candidates who expect to submit their thesis before April 2017 may also be considered)
- Proven ability to perform research in an area related to at least one of the projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to effectively analyse information and produce clear, succinct reports and documents requiring interaction with others
- Knowledge of optimisation methods particularly integer programming and/or meta-heuristics
- Ability to efficiently implement and test algorithms computationally. Experience with parallel or distributed computing in a Linux environment would be beneficial.
- Planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise multiple tasks and set and meet deadlines
- Desirable: Experience in logistics or transport
- Salary: Level A ($81,486 - $87,471). For exceptional candidates with relevant post PhD experience, an appointment at level B may be possible ($88,960 - $105,6412), plus 9.5% employer superannuation contribution.
- Location: Clayton Campus of Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- Applications from international applicants welcome.
**Mention you saw it on the AustMS website**