Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Cancer Modelling) - Level A - 24mth Contract
Cancer Council NSW
Cancer Screening GroupClosing date: 18th August 2016
- Combine your interest in health research AND tertiary qualifications in the unique space of modelling (e.g. computer science, engineering, applied mathematics)
- High-impact international study with an ability to improve health and influence policy via an NHMRC grant, on modelling the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of HPV vaccination and cervical cancer screening in China
Celebrating over 60 years, Cancer Council NSW is a community funded, community focused not for profit. Cancer Council NSW (CCNSW) is the largest cancer charity in NSW and its point of difference is that it works across all stages of the cancer journey from research right through to support.
Based in the Woolloomooloo office, you will be part of the Cancer Screening Group, within our Research Division, that has developed detailed novel models of screening for several different cancers, which can be used to evaluate various prevention strategies in different settings.
The group emphasises an epidemiological approach to modelling and strong local collaborations in the settings in which they work. The Cancer Screening Group is involved in policy evaluations of cervical cancer prevention (encompassing screening and vaccination against human papillomavirus) for Australia, England, New Zealand, USA and China, including government-commissioned work.
In this role, you will participate in the development of the simulation platform used in evaluations of cancer screening programs. In summary? It's helping to provide coding to health research, to help develop screening processes for cancers, in this case, China!
Key responsibilities will be:
- To work towards building a world class research program in epidemiology, health economic evaluations, causes, early detection and prevention of cervical cancer in China
- To use an existing model to evaluate outcomes in line with an existing NHMRC grant
- To expand on the existing model of cervical cancer to include other HPV attributable cancers and diseases
- To write research papers and publish results from completed studies within the program
- To manage and mentor staff and post-graduate students working in the research program
- To build collaborations with scientists in the field
- To work towards increased standing through appointments to external bodies and wide contribution to the field
- To make scientific and intellectual contribution to the field
It will suit someone with:
- PhD or equivalent in mathematics, biostatistics, engineering, public health or a related area with a substantial component of model development and analysis
- Experience in developing simulation models, preferably in a health or medical related field
- Experience in a programming language for modelling purposes (such as MATLAB or R)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and report writing skills
- Demonstrated conceptual and analytical skills and ability to independently solve problems
Why wait! Apply online and submit your cover letter summarising why you are applying, and your resume to support your experience! With your application, please quote reference "CRD 0716 PDRF"
Applications close COB Thursday 18th August, 2016.
If you have any questions or need any additional information, please do not hesitate to call Bridget Mudford on (02) 9334 1436.
Cancer Council is the leading cancer charity in NSW and is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from people of Aboriginal descent are encouraged and welcomed
**Mention you saw it on the AustMS website**