The University of Sydney
Mathematics Learning CentreClosing date: 10th April 2016
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 7500 permanent staff, supporting over 52,000 students.
The Mathematics Learning Centre currently provides support for eligible undergraduate students to develop the mathematics content knowledge, skills and confidence necessary for their successful completion of their first level mathematics or statistics units of study. Students' capacities are developed through an extensive program of bridging courses, on-line learning resources and small supplementary tutorials and through individual support in the Mathematics Learning Centre Drop-in Centre. The work of the Mathematics Learning Centre is research and evidence based.
In this interesting and challenging role you will:
- Contribute to the teaching and the development of all aspects of the Mathematics Learning Centre program including the statistics bridging courses
- Contribute to the further development of on-line and blended learning resources
- Contribute to the research output of the Mathematics Learning Centre
- Perform administrative duties related to the Mathematics Learning Centre and the position description
- Participate in the internal governance activities of the Mathematics Learning Centre
To be successful you will possess:
- An honours degree in mathematics or an honours degree in statistics with a major in mathematics
- Considerable and successful university teaching experience
- Experience, in a university context, in designing and teaching mathematics and/or statistics to students who are mathematically underprepared for their university studies
- Experience in developing eLearning/blended learning resources to support student learning
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to ameliorate the difficulties students may experience in learning mathematics
- Demonstrable research potential
- Extensive knowledge of mathematics and statistics
- An understanding of difficulties faced by mathematically underprepared students when commencing their university studies
Desirable for your appointment is:
- A research degree, or progress towards one
- Some experience in mathematics (or statistics) education research
- Project management skills
Join a dynamic team environment and support the successful implementation of the University's goals of enhancement of quality learning and teaching, quality research, access for and participation by a diverse cohort of students.
To be considered for this position it is essential that you address the online selection criteria. For guidance on how to apply visit: How to apply for an advertised position.
Remuneration Package: $79,810K - $108,306K p.a., which includes a base salary Level A $67,441 - $91,520p.a, leave loading and up to 17% employer's contribution to superannuation)
Specific enquiries about the position can be directed to Jackie Nicholas, Head, Mathematics Learning Centre on +61 2 9351 5798 or at email@example.com
Enquiries regarding the recruitment process can be directed to Michelle Carlon/Kristy Fairweather on +61 2 8627 0646/1217 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and to apply, click here.
**Mention you saw it on the AustMS website**