The following is a list of international congresses that we are aware of in the Australian region, or which may be of special interest to Australian mathematicians. A much broader list of international conferences is maintained by the American Mathematical Society.
Mathematical Congress of the Americas 2013
The inaugural Mathematical Congress of the Americas (MCA) will take place in
- Guanajuato, Mexico; August 5–9, 2013
hosted by the Centro de Investigación en Matemáticas, A.C. (CIMAT)
The goal of the Congress is to highlight the excellence of mathematical achievements in the Americas within the context of the international arena, and foster collaborations among researchers, students, institutions and mathematical societies in the Americas.
This event is part of Mathematics of Planet earth, 2013.
- James Arthur (Toronto, Canada)
- Artur Avila (IMPA, Brazil and CNRS, France)
- Manjul Bhargava (Princeton, USA)
- Luis Caffarelli (Texas, USA)
- Ingrid Daubechies (Duke, USA)
- Persi Diaconis (Stanford, USA) — evening lecturer
- Alejandro Adem (PIMS, Canada)
- Uri Ascher (UBC, Canada)
- Susan Friedlander (AMS, USA)
- Servet Martinez (CMM, Univ. of Chile)
- Jose Antonio de la Peña (CIMAT, México)
- Marcelo Viana (IMPA, Brasil)
- On line registration opens in January, 2013: http://www.mca2013.org/en/registration.html
- On site registration will be available at main venue from 4 August 2013
- American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- Brazilian Mathematical Society (SBM)
- Canadian Mathematical Society (CMS)
- Mathematical Union for Latin America and the Caribbean (UMALCA)
- Mexican Mathematical Society(SMM)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- National Council on Science and Technology (CONACYT, Mexico)
- other donors: AIM, CAMS at USC, IMPA, MSRI
MODSIM2013: International Congress on Modelling and Simulation
Date & Venue: 1–6 December 2013; Adelaide Convention Centre, South Australia
The theme for this MODSIM 2013 event will be Adapting to Change: the multiple roles of modelling.
- Prof R.S. Anderssen (CSIRO Mathematics, Informatics and Statistics)
- Dr J. Piantadosi (University of SA)
Further details of the conference will be available later in the year.
International Congress of Mathematicians, 2014
Dates: 13–21 August
Venue: COEX Convention & Exhibition Center, Seoul, Korea
Hosted by: The Korean Mathematical Society.
The International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) is the largest international congress in the mathematics community. It is held once every four years under the auspices of the International Mathematical Union (IMU). The Fields Medals, the Nevanlinna Prize, the Gauss Prize, and the Chern Medal are awarded during the opening ceremony on the first day of the congress. Each congress is memorialized by printed Proceedings recording academic papers based on invited talks intended to reflect the current state of the science.
The Korean mathematical community is delighted to host the next congress in Seoul, Korea in 2014. We will make every effort to make SEOUL ICM 2014 a turning point for mathematics; to reach out to the public and to be recognized and valued by society.