Hanna Neumann Lecturer
Hanna Neumann (1914-1971) was the first woman appointed as a professor of mathematics in Australia, taking up the newly created chair of Pure Mathematics in the ANU School of General Studies in 1964.
The AustMS established the Hanna Neumann Lecturer in 2010 to honour the achievements of women in mathematics. Each year, the chosen Hanna Neumann Lecturer presents a plenary talk at the annual meeting of the society.
Past Hanna Neumann Lecturers
- 2015: Frances Kirwan (Balliol College, University of Oxford, UK)
- Q&A with Frances on the AustMS website
- 2014: Nina Snaith (University of Bristol, UK)
- Q&A with Nina on the AustMS website
- 2013: Natashia Boland (The University of Newcastle, Australia)
- Q&A with Natashia in the AustMS Gazette (Sept 2010)
- 2012: Kate Smith-Miles (Monash University)
- Q&A with Kate in the AustMS Gazette (March 2011)
- 2011: Nalini Joshi (The University of Sydney)
- Q&A with Nalini in the AustMS Gazette (May 2009)
- 2010: Cheryl Praeger (The University of Western Australia)
- Q&A with Cheryl in the AustMS Gazette (Sept 2009)